Friday 18 November 2011

Fall 2011: Mid-Season Review

We're now 7 weeks into Fall 2011 and this autumn's offerings are now in full swing, so I thought it was about time to do a mid-season review of the shows I've been watching.


Number of Episodes Subbed: 7

Total Episodes Planned: 25

Impressions: After the initial re-introduction episodes, Bakuman is back in full swing and it's really getting to the good stuff. The honeymoon is well and truly over for Takagi and Mashiro as they struggle with adjusting to their new editor and keeping Detective Trap steady in the rankings, but then, it all begins to come crashing down as they face another serious setback. Meanwhile, though Ashirogi Mutou continue to form the show's centre-post, we're getting to see more of the other mangaka and finally we're introduced to the eccentric Hiramaru. His complete lack of motivation or work ethic makes for a glorious juxtaposition with the other mangaka - plus the relationship with his editor is hilarity in a bucket. The expansion beyond the two central characters does wonders for the show and makes for a much more meaty plot. Though rivals, each of the different mangaka have a solid foundation of friendship, which causes them to rally around and support each other. I love the dynamic that this group (also known as Team Fukuda) has, because while you ultimately want Mashiro and Takagi to kick everyone's arses in the rankings, seeing them ally against a common enemy is exactly what shounen is all about, and considering how episode seven left off, I cannot wait for more.

Overall Conclusion: Still my favourite anime of the season by a decent margin. I simply can't get enough of Ashirogi Mutou.

Current Rating: 5/5

Keep up the good work, boys!


Ben-To:

Number of Episodes Subbed: 6

Total Episodes Planned: 12

Impressions: This series if dumb with a capital "durrrrr". To be perfectly frank, I spend most of my time wondering why the hell I'm watching this, as outside of the supermarket scenes it's somewhat dull, and it's beginning to get to the point where I'm having to really motivate myself to watch the next episode. For a while there was more of a plotline introduced, and the rival gangs on the hunt for lunch and glory was making things more interesting. However, that particular arc has been wrapped up in the latest episode, so I'm intrigued as to where it will go from here. The true glory of this show still remains in its ludicrous premise. That the entire thing is based around trying to get a half priced bento lunchbox and just how brutal the fighting gets because of it just never seems to get old. If it weren't for the supermarket scenes, I think this would have joined the dropped pile several episodes ago. Also, Satou dressed in a sailor outfit and animal hat wandering into the convenience store = funniest scene yet!

Overall Conclusion: I'm only watching this for the supermarket fights, but the sheer idiocy behind the premise has yet to get old and I'm still finding the seriousness of these battles hilarious.

Current Rating: 3/5

Eyes off the fried chicken box; that's mine, bitch!


Chibi Devi!

Number of Episodes Subbed: 5

Total Episodes Planned: Currently Unknown

Impressions: With only five 5-minute episodes, there's not too much to go on really. The plot has taken a definite diversion from what I was expecting, since crybaby Honoka has already decided to give up on looking after the kid and is trying to get replacement parents. Of course, whether that actually happens remains to be seen. The anime is continuing along as it did at the beginning and Mao is still very much on the "DAWWWWW!" side. Honoka, however, I keep wanting to punch. That girl is a pitiful, whining, crying mess and an idiot to boot (seriously, you drop your kid off at a demon baby nursery and are then surprised to learn that there are other demon babies out there... really? REALLY?). When you look at how she behaves, it's no wonder the dozy bint has no friends at school. Luckily, I don't think we're supposed to massively sympathise with her - at least not judging by a comment I saw in the manga where Mao's parents were unsure whether to leave their child with somone who has such "personality problems".

Overall Conclusion: Still cute, but Honoka needs a slap.

Current Rating: 3/5

Oh my God, will you stop bloody crying already!


Chihayafuru

Number of Episodes Subbed: 7

Total Episodes Planned: Currently Uknown

Impressions: This series took a little warming up for me, but after watching episode four, I fell in love with it. I think what I love most about this is how they've made the competitive aspect so engaging. In theory, watching people play a card game (and a card game based on ancient poetry at that) should be mind-numbingly dull. However, the vivacity and passion with which Chihaya plays makes for compelling viewing. Additionally, that the beautiful teen is up against the odds when it comes to attracting new club members endears her plight, because hey, who doesn't love an underdog. Fundementally though, I think what appeals most to me is that it's essentially shounen for women. The manga is published in a josei magazine and is specifically targetted at women, yet it bears all the hallmarks of a good shounen: a determined protagonist with a clear dream (I'm gonna be the pirate king world's #1 karuta player) and an ability to affect those around them, intense battles, a smattering of comedy, and a hefty importance placed on friendship. I'm hoping this series keeps up its current pace, and doesn't let the romantic undertones overwhelm the game.

Overall Conclusion: This has rapidly become my favourite new series of the season. Can't wait for the next episode.

Current Rating: 4.5/5

We want YOU in our karuta club!


Hidamari Sketch x SP (Complete)

Number of Episodes: 2

Impressions: Before I start, I wholeheartedly admit that I'm a Hidamari fangirl. I've loved it ever since I saw the first series several years ago, so every time I get a new fix of Yuno and the others, I get a nice dopey grin on my face. This autumn's two-episode offering places focus more on the girls' antics outside of school, so get ready for trips to the pool and an art museum. Out of the four skits, my favourite was undoubtedly the excusrion to eat barbecue with their landlady - the highlight of which was the scene in which they played Russian Roulette with wasabi-laced sushi. While enjoyable, x SP didn't quite seem to live up to its predecessors. It was good, but not exceptionally brilliant. For me, I think this is partly down to the fact that Nazuna and Nori have yet to fully ingratiate themselves to me - in particular, Nazuna seems kind of meh as a character and brings bugger all to the table. Nori at least has the whole technology aspect going for her (though this makes zero appearance here), Nazuna meanwhile just seems to get left out for not being the arty one and barely makes her presence known. However, despite not having endless love for this particular special, I still liked it and I'm still looking forward to the next series.

Overall Conclusion: Solid Hidamari goodness, but not its strongest offering.

Rating: 4/5

Sae hugging a pillow. Just... because.

Kimi to Boku

Number of Episodes Subbed:
7

Total Episodes Planned:
13

Impressions:
While it may have been relegated to my second favourite new series of the season, I continue to loving Kimi to Boku and still I believe it to have one of the most interesting group dynamics I've seen for a while. While initially I wasn't keen on the newest addition to the group - blonde-haired Chizuru - I've actually found that his presence is kind of awesome. The lively teen adds some much needed vivacity to the gang as it not only forces them into action, but it also highlights both Yuuki and Yuuta's deadpan personalities, as well as Kaname's serious and adult nature, which ultimately adds to the humour. I now have an odd sort of relationship with this show, as I don't tend to race to watch it the second it's finished downloading (as I tend to do with Bakuman, Ika Musume, Working'!! and to a certain extent Chihayafuru) but I still thoroughly enjoy it when I do sit down to watch.

Overall Conclusion:
Best cast dynamic of the season, funny, charming and entertaining to watch.

Current Rating:
4 - 4.5/5

EEEEEEEAAAAAAAGLLLLLLLLLE!

Morita-san wa Mukuchi 2

Number of Episodes Subbed:
7

Total Episodes Planned:
Currently Unknown

Impressions:
My thoughts on this have yet to change drastically. Most of the time I sit through the three minutes and don't raise a smile. But, while I don't find it hugely funny, it is easy watching. I must admit that I did enjoy this latest episode with the trainee teacher, mainly because it shook things up a bit instead of focusing on Mayu and her dead, soulless eyes (seriously, they have NO LIFE in them whatsoever; they creep me the hell out).

Overall Conclusion:
Not quite drop-worthy, but still only alright.

Current Rating:
2/5

Even this sweet potato isn't enough to bring a sparkle to my eyes.

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume

Number of Episodes Subbed:
6

Total Episodes Planned:
12

Impressions:
Ika-chan is as entertaining as ever and I really do adore the three setches per episode format as in a way it feels like you get triple the amount of laughs. I did particularly like the skit with Ika Musume and the remote-controlled car. Seeing her act as a R/C and bashing herself into the wall had me rolling on the floor. Also, Mini Squiddie made a welcome return in the latest episode. I think the Mini Ika-chan sections are some of my favourite as she's just so utterly adorable that I kind of wish I had my own little squidvader. This is definitely one of my most anticipated each week.

Overall Conclusion:
Still great fun, though I wish they'd stop occasionally skipping weeks, I like my weekly dose of squiddy goodness.

Current Rating:
4.5/5

Oi, oi... Why didn't you give me 5/5?

Tamayura ~hitotose~

Number of Episodes Subbed:
7

Total Episodes Planned:
13

Impressions:
Tamayura is continuing to amble along at a steady pace. The melancholy vibe form some of the earlier episodes has now ebbed away a little as the show is branching out to look at some of the other characters and there's less mention of the deceased father (well apart from the latest episode). Now, the series has more of an aura of adorability to it, and it's certainly easy to watch - though I still wouldn't watch it while tired as I get the feeling that it's calming influence and slow pace would send me to sleep within minutes.The biggest let down of the whole anime is the visual aspect, I have a 1028p version and it still looks like it was made a good five to ten years ago - simply put, the animation is not of 2011 standards, which is a shame because the static backgrounds and skies are beautifully drawn.

Overall Conclusion:
A sweet and harmless series, but it's still not managing to completely win me over.

Current Rating:
3/5

Say Cheese!

Un-Go

Number of Episodes Subbed:
6

Total Episodes Planned:
11

Impressions:
I often tend to find that I'm inexplicably drawn to most of the anime from the noitaminA timeslot, so it's of no surprise that I've picked up another one and have added Un-Go to my fall list. Having only decided to pick this up last week, I've worked my way through the episodes at a reasonable pace, and so far I'm rather impressed. It's not a series that has me immediately hooked and begging for more, but it is enjoyable. I enjoy the detective genre at the best of times (I blame Conan for this), but what I like the most about Un-Go is that it deviates from the traditional idea that the genius detective sweeps in and saves the day. Yes, the genius detective does sweep in and solve the case, however, that his deductions are frequently hushed up and replaced by fabricated conclusions to best protect those with power means that he gets none of the glory and a completely contrasting nickname of the "Defeated Detective". I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next, especially considering how the latest episode ended.

Overall Conclusion:
One of the more intriguing series of the season so far and I'm interested to see what comes next.

Current Rating:
4/5

Oh noes! There's been a murder!

Working'!!

Number of Episodes Subbed:
7

Total Episodes Planned:
13

Impressions:
Just over the halfway mark with this series now, and it's still going strong. In some of the more recent episodes there has been more attention paid to the relationship between Takanashi and Inami - in particular the lolicon's jealousy toward any other guy that gets near Inami. While I fear that it could end up taking centre stage, at the moment it's providing a decent amount of entertainment. In particular, the latest episode with Takanashi going a bit loopy had me giggling quite a lot. Certainly this season seems funnier than the last, and I look forward to watching each week for my next dose of light-hearted fun. I also love the ending theme, it's one of the very, VERY few songs that I actually sit through every week and enjoy.

Overall Conclusion:
Damn funny and enjoyable, though I hope they don't go too overboard on the Takanashi/Inami thing.

Current Rating:
4.5/5

Bad dogs must be punished!

1 comment:

  1. Patches likes that you enjoy working despite the larger does of Yamada! Patches also approves of your Chihaya Furu love. :D

    ReplyDelete