Sunday 18 March 2012

Bleach Anime Catch Up Marathon: Week Two

Here comes my second week of Bleach catch-up.

__________

March 8th: Day eight of the catch-up
I have to say that I am quite enjoying the whole Gotei 13 vs Gotei 13 thing, I just can't help but shake the feeling that this is all a bit reminiscent of the zanpakutou arc. Of course instead of the shinigami fighting against the very weapons that are a part of them, they're fighting against themselves. Both are very much... internal enemies instead of some completely outside presence going on the offensive. In other news, I do quite like Chad, but damn does he need shorter attack names!
Watched: 2 Episodes

__________

March 12th: Day twelve of the catch-up
I have majorly sucked over the weekend and didn't watch ANY anime whatsoever, so I have some catching up to do. OK Nozomi calling Kon a pervert and repeatedly kicking him was getting old quite a long time ago, now it's just plain boring. Also getting a little weary of the poor fragile Ichigo losing his powers thing. Yes, it has the potential to be heroic, but it kind of feels like the anime is milking the loss of his abilities. At least in the manga it was instant. He used the technique, now that's it. No more. Still, it's nice to see a little more Kenpachi and definitely, Kenpachi v Kenpachi is gonna be goooooood!

So here's the main problem with filler arcs. If you're manga current then ALL of the shock content in an anime filler that relates to one of the canon characters is lost entirely. For example, have just seen actual Kenpachi get run through by fake Kenpachi. We all know that real Kenpachi is going to live, so any of the tension the anime could possibly create in making the audience think "Oh shit, he's dead on the floor" just fades away. Huh. I totally only just realised that Kenpachi has NO EYEBROWS! (Yes people, this is the kind of quality analysis you have been waiting for: Newsflash: Kenpachi doesn't have eyebrows.)
Watched: 2 Episodes

__________

March 13th: Day thirteen of the catch-up
Oh that is totally fake Hinamori. If it isn't I'll eat my hat! Knew it; my hat lives to see another day! And while I'm on the subject of Hinamori, she is one of the most piss-weak, annoying characters I've ever met. So Aizen betrays everyone and she basically has a freaking breakdown. I know you could give the excuse of love, but that doesn't have to make you so damn lame. Look at Matsumoto, she loved Gin and he betrayed Soul Society, yet did her brain go to hell? No. She dealt with her feelings and continued to kick arse. Yet even when Hinamori attempts to be "strong" and fight back, she's still a pathetic excuse for a shinigami. She may have combat ability and be damn skilled at kidou, but her personality severely oppresses her fighting prowess and the constant doe-eyed look on her face makes her seem like little more than Soul Society's resident punching bag. Even her more agressive reigai in this arc is kinda pitiful, full of apology and devoid of resolve. My god girl, just grow a pair already! I was actually just about to take all that back when Hinamori #2 turned up and actually looked like she had some kind of definite intent to fight and protect someone, but then she ended up just yelling for Hitsugaya to help her like a pitiable damsel in distress again. If characters in Bleach fall into two categories - those who protect, and those who need protecting - then Hinamori is the type whose parents never told her the nasty bits of fairy stories and to this day she still believes that Snow White is simply a happy tale about a girl who befriends some dwarves and marries a prince after dozing off in the forest.

Anyway, enough of the Hinamori hate, now onto another episode. I have to admit, so far this arc has some pretty decent battles and it's really nice to see the captains (both real and fake) getting their fight on, particularly some of the ones that don't normally get as much screen time - like Kyoraku, Ukitake and Komamura.
Watched: 2 Episodes

__________

March 14th: Day fourteen of the catch-up
So this guy basically has a Tardis zanpakutou... Gimme the Doctor's wibbly wobbly timey wimey over Inabas twirly space manipulation any day. OK this fight is pretty damn awesome. Watching the captains working together in a fight is impressive to say the least. Although it still looks like it's agiven that Ichigo will come save the day as he always does, it's still nice to see what the otehrs can do for a change. Definitely enjoying this arc so far, and that's something I never thought I'd say about Bleach filler.

Oh man, I love Kurotsuchi as a character. The crazy sadistic bastard adds some colour to the proceedings every time he shows his warped face. I had my doubts about Kageroza as an antagonist but he's totally got the whole mad scientist role down pretty well. I want to watch more, but I really should go to bed. Maybe I'll have to watch extra tomorrow.
Watched: 2 Episodes

3 comments:

  1. Ever since I heard the rumor of the end of the anime, I've started a campaign to catch up as well.

    I'll try to follow along with your marathon while I watch myself.

    I watched the end of Aizen this weekend, so I'm at 310. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Yeah It was definitely the announcement of the end that got me more inspired to actually get up to date. I must say I'm enjying it more than I thought I would, and it really is rather nice to be liking Bleach again. It'll be really weird to not see it on my watching list, and actually a little bit sad.

      Delete
  2. I really like the series. For me I cannot really see the episodes over the aizen arc though. its pretty terrible. However I do like the new bleach anime openings that have been released.

    ReplyDelete