Tuesday 20 December 2011

25 Days of Manga: December 16th - 20th

December 16th
All Rounder Meguru (7+ Vols Ongoing)
Status: Reading at 2 Volumes

Impressions: Another day, nother mixed martial arts manga. When I started reading this, I couldn't help but compare it to Teppuu since I'd not long read that. Generally I think I'm enjoying this a little more than the aforementioned series, largely because Meguru is a far more amiable protagonist than Natsuo. All Rounder Meguru is an easy read, and there are already the signs that he has some kind of inherently amazing ability despite his seeming lack of talent. I can't necessarily see this becoming one of my all-time favourites, but it's certainly a decent read and worth continuing with.

Rating: 3.5/5


December 17th
Omoide Emanon (1 Vol Complete)
Status: Read

Impressions: I had absolutely zero idea what to expect with this manga and I was quite pleased with what I found. The basic premise is that a student meets a mysterious girl on a boat trip back home and she reveals that she has an inherited memory that's passed down her bloodline, meaning that she can remember everything that has ever happened since the beginning of the world. Omoide Emanon makes you question the merits and pitfalls of having a three billion year old memory and it's that ability to make you think that I liked the most about it. As much as I likea nice easy read that I can simply sit back and enjoy, when I encounter manga that can provide more mental stimulation, I can't help but appreciate it.

Rating: 4/5


December 18th
Dengeki Daisy (9+ Vols Ongoing)
Status: Reading at 1 Volume

Impressions: Another decent dose of shoujo that's just as detached from reality as so many others I've encountered. A girl's brother dies leaving her with no family and only a cellphone connected to the mysterious "Daisy" who will always be there to help her out. Now, I'm sorry but in that situation I'm buggered if I'd trust some complete stranger who only communicates through text messages. But of course our naive protagonist, Teru, not only trusts this guy implicitly but has seemingly fallen in love with him. Naturally, Dengeki Daisy is infused with the standard sorts of shoujo humour and a good old hate becoming love relationship between Teru and cranky janitor Tasuku who just so happens to be the illusive Daisy. But you know what, I kind of don't care that it's unrealistic because I enjoy reading it, and really, that's what manga is all about.

Rating: 4/5


December 19th
Tough (31+ Vols Ongoing)
Status: Stalled at 1 Volume

Impressions: I seem to have had a fair number of manga requests that are based around mixed martial arts and considering that my only experience of this type of manga so far has bee History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, it's been a bit of an eye-opener. So far, this is definitely the most brutal of the MMA manga I've experienced, and surprisingly, I'm rather enjoying it. Certainly, 25 Days has opened my eyes to genres that I'd not normally have bothered with, and its definitely teaching me more about my tastes in manga.

Rating: 3.5/5


Bonus: Kokou Tekken-den Tough (42 Vols Complete)
Status: Stalled at 1 Volume

Impressions: Since I had the requet for Tough, I thought I may as well fill in the rest of the franchise. This part is actually the prequel and focuses on Kiichi when he was younger, and boy, is the tone different. Granted I'm not too far in, but where Tough is darker and all together more serious, Kokou Tekken-den Tough has more humour, and crude humour at that. The fights still have the same sort of vibe, though so far they're not as brutal.I'm intrigued to read on a little more, but this part of the franchise seems to have less direction than its successor.

Rating: 3/5


Bonus: Oton (2+ Vols Ongoing)

Status: Stalled at 1 Volume

Impressions: This is possibly the most bizarre of the Tough franchise. This part focuses on Kiichi's father and is an episodic (or chaptersodic) manga that follows the day-to-day life of Seiko as he uses his immense strength to help people. It's kind of ridiculous to be honest and at times stupidly far-fetched. In chapter one the guy not only trains himself to pluck a speeding bullet out of thin air, but he also cures a paralysed man through a hand massage. Seriously. Since there are currently only two volumes I will likely read the other one, and decide what to do after that. I oddly like it's outlandish stories, but the sensible part of me thinks I should quit while I'm ahead.

Rating: 3.5/5


December 20th
Dorohedoro (15+ Vols Ongoing)
Status: Reading at 1 Volume

Impressions: I was a litle anxious starting this one as I wasn't sure it was going to be my cup of tea, but I can say with certainty that I like Doroheodoro. It's got fantasy, magic, curses, and a guy with a lizard's head. But it's not a fluffy sort of series by any stretch of the imagination, in fact it's pretty damn dark. Humans live in a shithole city and are live experiments for wizards who do all sorts of messed up crap to people, such as completely disfiguing their faces, turning them into insects and all sorts. Plus there's a fair amount of brutality. The main character has to bit the heads of magicians to find the one who cursed him, and if they're not the one he kills them in some pretty vicious ways. Mixed in with this is the odd little bit of humour that makes the whole thing go down smoothly. Definitely looking forward to continuing this one.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment