Sunday 18 December 2011

On the Fifth Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave To Me...

Five Kick-Ass Dudes
Four Mindf**k Minutes
Three Shounen Timeskips
Two Crazy Whores
And A Pair of Giant Matrix Boooooobiiiiiiieeeessss!

In my year of watching anime and reading manga, I've happend upon many guys who are awesome in so many ways, but here are five of my favourites.

Gildarts Clive (Fairy Tail)

This year I immersed myself in a LOOOOT of Fairy Tail. I'd stalled on both the anime and manga and eventually decided to catch up on both. It was then that I met Gildarts. I think one of the main reasons I like Gildarts is that he reminds me a lot of Shanks both in appearance and in his role when it comes to the central hero. I love the imposing presence that his power accords him, but I especially like that it contrasts with him more humorous, philandering side. For me, he is an immediate win as a character, but we've yet to see much of him, and I can't wait for the time that we see more.



Apachai Hopachai (History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi)

So, I fell in lovewith Apachai for the first time last year when I watched the History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi anime, but I fell all over again when I started the manga this year. I can't help but adore the complete and utter contrast between his lethal fighting style and complete inability to hold back with his naive and child-like personality. The guy is sweet, but misguided; helpful, but a complete walking disaster. I love his misguided quirks, such as hammering voodoo dolls believing them to be a good luck charm, as well as his lack of comprehension of the Japanese language causing him to answer the phone with "Hello, we have your children". While I love all the masters for their own oddities, undoubtedly Apachai is my favourite.


Rin Okumura (Ao no Exorcist)
I started out in this franchise by reading the manga and quickly fell in love with it. I was slightly less enthused by the direction that the anime adaptation took, but nonetheless, my love for the cast remained the same. In particular, I can't help but love Rin. I'm not going to lie, he's basically your run-of-the-mill shounen hero: rambunctious, a bit dim, and incredibly inherently powerful. His basic personality is nothing too dissimilar to Luffy, Naruto, Natsu and (to a certain extent, if you switch the brooding emo tendenceies for a more light-hearted attitude) Ichigo. But you know what, I don't care. I like the energetic and dim characters that kick more and more arse each time they fight and Rin is a perfect example of that.



Old Man (Sumire 16-Sai)

Simply put, the reason I adore this guy is because he is a freak. This is the bizarre middle-aged man with no name who seems to wholeheartedly believe that there is NOTHING wrong with carrying around a doll named Sumire and attending the local highschoool AS said doll. What makes this guy so awesome is that he doesn't even seem to be a complete pervert, instead he actually becomes Sumire. As such he seems to be utterly oblivious to the utter inappropriate nature of asking Sumire's new female friends to bathe together. Yet still, instead of become a creepy stalker or sex fiend, his various acts of heroism (under the guise of Sumire) and his seemingly utter disregard for his own safety makes this guy a total and utter legend.

Alaindelon (Beelzebub)

I toyed with the idea of having my fifth and final Kick-Ass dude as being Oga from the same series, but in the end, I couldn't help but give it to Alaindelon. My sole reason for this guy landing my final spot is his completely camp nature and his bizarre relationship with Furuichi. Despite being a fairly powerful demon with cross dimensional transfer abilities, the guy acts more like a new wife when it comes to Furuichi. Like some kind of downcast gay housewife, his constant unwanted advances on Furuichi and the horrified teen's hilarious reactions give this guy a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment